Water Leaks

Water Leaks

For help and information on leaks, bursts, burst mains, water pressure and other water or sewerage related problems your water supplier should have a dedicated emergency line.

If the leak is inside your house, then you should call a plumber. It will be your or your landlord’s responsibility to fix this. You should turn the water supply off at the mains to prevent further damage.

If the leak is from your water meter or between your house and the boundary of your property (your service pipe) you are usually responsible for repairing it. You will need to hire a contractor to find out where the link is then carry out the repair. Your water supplier should be able to provide you with a list of contractors.

After the pipe has been repaired most water companies should reimburse you with a one off payment towards the repair on receipt of the invoice. There will usually be maximum amount payable and certain conditions, for example, that the repairs were carried out within 30 days of finding out about the leak.

If the leak is outside the property boundary then you should contact your water supplier to arrange repairs.

Checking for Leaks

If you have a water meter in your property here is how you can easily check for leaks:

  • Turn off the water supply at the internal stop-tap.
  • Make sure your cold water supply is off, check the kitchen cold water tap.
  • Open the meter chamber and remove the polystyrene protection.
  • If either of the dials are spinning then this may mean you have a leak.
Water leaks in the news

Read and comment on water leak related stories in our news blog: